Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Better Ironing and Work Station

Every once in a while I get a good idea.  That happened a few days ago as I was -again -  replacing the light canvas cover on my ironing board.  It is a 2 foot by 4 foot piece of 1/2 inch plywood, covered with insulbright batting (I used what I had - any other batting should work) and then covered with light canvas that is stretched and folded to the back of the board and stapled into place.  It creates a large, stable and firm working and ironing surface. However, after enough use, the canvas eventually gets gross and scorched.  I can rotate the board once - most of the staining is in the corner closest to the iron.  Then I have to replace it.

So the other day I was at that point.  I had a previous piece that I had washed.  While it was still stained on one side, it was fine on the other, so I stapled this new cover into place after removing and discarding the old one. 

Then I thought: what if I made a removable cover to lay on top of this one?  I could rotate and flip it four times, wash it, or replace it, without having to remove the main cover and staple.  So I took a half width of another piece of canvas and zig-zagged the edges.  I sized it to lay on the work top edge to edge.  These edges are held down with those clips you can use for patio tablecloths.  Works great and I think I will save time and money in the long run.



No comments: