|Photo 1: Leaf Pile|
As noted two entries back, Leaf Pile is an outgrowth of a smaller challenge quilt I made. I wanted to explore both the leaf theme and Robbi Joy Ecklow’s puzzle quilt approach. It measures 25”by 31.5” and has taken over 7 months to complete. Mostly I have been staring at it, trying to figure out how to quilt it and afraid to start. Creating the appliqué collage had been so tedious and I didn’t want to mess it up. I finally said, “Screw it – just go.” And it went!
Initially this was supposed to have a different background. I had taken Ellen Lindner’sInstant Art Quilt course on line and thought I could adapt the torn and rearranged fabric approach for the background. But it just didn’t create the look I wanted – I’ll use that background in some future project since the concept certainly works. After auditioning both light and dark backgrounds, I settled on a light one. I also decided to just sew down the appliqué edges with a straight stitch and then quilt the vein patterns as they exist for each species, because there is good variety between them. In the background I quilted the occasional small outline of maple, oak and aspen leaves and then echoed around them a bit before filling the rest with MacTavishing. The border was alternating leaf outlines that I echoed around once. (Photos 2 and 3). I was after texture and enhancement without overwhelming the appliquéd area. It’s more subtle than the photos show.
The appliqué leaves were quilted with a variety if almost matching colors by Isacord. The background thread was a cream Isacord and the leaf outline in the border was a variegated yellow/tan by Sulky and echoed in a brown Isacord. I like the sheen these threads have.
Overall, I am happy with the result. I learned a lot and would like to do more of this.
|Photo 2: Border and background quilting detail|
|Photo 3: Applqué, border and background quilting detail|